Day 34

October 3, 2019

GASPE, QUEBEC



The ship anchored near the town of Gaspe. Perce Rock is 62 kilometres farther along the Gaspe Peninsula, we could not see it from where the ship stopped. As Karen and I had visited Perce previously, we passed on the bus ride and spent time visiting Gaspe instead.


Image result for perce rock quebec

TIMEWARP - Karen and I had worked and lived in Montreal during the mid-1970s. One summer we decided to drive to see this part of Quebec principally because of the fame of Perce. I bought brand new wide tires for our Datsun 510, added the appropriate amount air, and we set off. On the way we stopped and I bought an intricate wood carving of a prospector at a village named Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! . True.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/saint-louis-du-ha-ha-guiness-world-record-1.4298482
A day later we stopped at a diner lured by the advertised local specialty, lobster. When the meal was finished, sitting beside the window of our booth, I picked up the lobster claw and put it on my nose not realizing that a passing couple were looking in the window and laughing. Doh!
Later, as we neared our destination we stopped for gas. The car was getting terrific mileage per gallon. I had noticed all along that the car's ride was noticeably hard but I simply attributed that to the new tires. Out of curiosity more than anything, I borrowed a tire gauge at the gas station to test the tire pressure. Surprise: 55 pounds! What? How did that happen? Aliens, apparently.

I am a more responsible traveler now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 182

Day 165

Day 176